Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
"Loneliness is not having anyone to tell that you are lonely" Did you know? In the UK, more than 1 million people aged over 65 say they often or always feels lonely. We have 1,000 older people waiting for a Silver Line Friend. They have chosen to be called Silver Liners. By volunteering as a Telephone Friend for The Silver Line, we match you to a Silver Liner that you call once a week. "Just speaking to someone helps me cope a little better..." - Silver Liner This is a volunteer role that you can do from home or from work. All you need is access to a telephone and the internet. We ask for a commitment of up to a year where possible and the ability to make your call on the same day and time each week. Friendship calls can be made between 8am and 8pm Monday - Sunday. In the time it takes to read the paper, watch the news or take a trip to the shop, you can volunteer with The Silver Line. A regular 30-minute call from a friend really can change the life of a lonely person.
The Silver Line is the only confidential, free helpline for older people across the UK, open every day and night of the year. Our specially trained helpline staff:
- Offer information, friendship and advice
- Link callers to local groups and services
- Protect and support those who are suffering abuse and neglect
If callers would like to be put in touch with Silver Line Friends, they can receive a weekly friendship call or a regular friendship letter. Silver Line Friends are volunteers who have contacted The Silver Line because they enjoy talking to older people.
This is a volunteer role for anybody who enjoys speaking to older people, and has 30 minutes a week to give.
To be a Silver Line telephone friend you will need:
- To be 18 or over
- Access to the internet and an email account
- A UK, Channel Isles, or Isle of Man, landline telephone (we cannot facilitate calls from other countries)
- To be able to commit to a 30 minute friendship call, at the same time and day each week, for up to a year
- To want to speak to, and build a relationship with, an older person
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!