Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Southeastern Greyhound Club's by-laws declare that our purpose is two-fold: to provide Greyhound owners with a variety of ways to have fun with their Greyhounds, and to promote the breed by spreading the word about what wonderful pets Greyhounds make. Our members take these purposes quite seriously, and find more ways to fulfill both each year. We invite you to join us!
The Southeastern Greyhound Club (SEGC) was founded in 1992 by a group of owners of AKC-registered Greyhounds bred for the show ring. Beginning in 1995, the Club grew tremendously when membership was opened to owners of former racing Greyhounds. Today, the SEGC has over 200 member households and over 350 individual members, most of whom are adopters of former racers. The Club was featured in the September 1998 AKC Gazette, the monthly magazine of the American Kennel Club. (Click here to read the article.)
The SEGC sponsors a variety of activities designed to allow members to have fun with their Greyhounds and enjoy fellowship with other owners:
- Its own all-volunteer adoption group, Southeastern Greyhound Adoption/Greyhound Pets of America-Atlanta, staffed entirely by SEGC members and friends, and a chapter of the Greyhound Pets of America (GPA).
- An active program in lure coursing, an amateur field trial sport in which Greyhounds and other sighthound breeds chase a plastic lure that simulates the path of a rabbit on the run.
- Competition in agility events. This is an exercise in athleticism as well as hound-owner communication.
- A pet therapy program, where members visit nursing homes and assisted living centers with their hounds. We aim to provide the residents with canine companionship and the well-known therapeutic effect that such companionship provides.
- The opportunity to take part in our Greysitting Exchange! You'll never again have to worry about putting your Greyhound in a Greyhound-friendly environment when you travel.
In addition to our regularly scheduled activities, the Club holds several special "big events" each year, such as an all-day GreyFest gathering in the fall and a Greyhound Gala during the Christmas season.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!