Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
It is the goal and purpose of Aikido Kenkyukai Santa Barbara to pass down the true message of Aikido and to nurture a better society by creating individuals of responsibility, compassion, judgement, and character.
We're a group of dedicated Aikido students under the direction of Lia Suzuki Sensei. In the summer of 2007, we lost our training space on lower State Street due to an extreme rent increase. After regrouping and reorganizing, our aduts' class came together in a temporary space at the Veterans' Memorial Building. The kids' class reconvened a full year later, refusing to give up hope for continued study under Suzuki Sensei.
Now, we're a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. We excited and grateful to be able to be back training weekly. Our future goals are to once again have our own dedicated training space, take field trips to Japan, and to hold events to benefit the community through this fantastic art that we love called Aikido - the Art of Peace.
From the ByLaws...Specific Purposes
- To create an interest and motivation within the general public to practice the Japanese non-violent art of aikido;
- To encourage individuals, or groups of individuals, to practice aikido;
- To promote aikido as a positive and effective vehicle for self improvement and spiritual growth;
- To promote educational programs that teach aikido techniques, models and processes as a harmonious way through conflict, both in practice and everyday live;
- To advance aikido as a means of transforming the stresses of everyday life into opportunities for personal growth and development;