Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
They are civic-minded men and women who volunteer to assist their local Police Precincts, Housing Police Service Areas, and Transit Districts, by performing uniformed patrol in their communities. They are recruited, trained and equipped by the Police Department. They come from many diverse backgrounds and a myriad of occupations throughout the City, such as computer programmers, mechanics, merchants, nurses, security guards, school teachers, students, etc.
What are their functions?
- Auxiliary Police provide extra "eyes and ears" for the Police Department by performing uniformed foot, vehicle and bicycle patrols. They are trained to observe and report conditions requiring the services of the regular police. Whenever possible, they assist in non-enforcement and non-hazardous duties. The following are some areas in which the Auxiliary Police assist the Police Department:
- Residential and commercial areas
- Community festivals, parades, concerts, street fairs, park patrols
- Subway entrances and token booth areas
- Perimeter of Houses of Worship
- Crime prevention activities
- Traffic control
What are the requirements?
- Age 17 through 63 (persons over 63 may apply for administrative duties)
- Live or work in New York City
- Be in good health
- Must pass a drug/alcohol screening and sign an affidavit acknowledging compliance with NYPD Zero-Tolerance drug policy.
- Able to read and write English
- Never been convicted of a felony or have a previous arrest record that would prevent acceptance
- A U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident who has a valid visa or alien registration card
- Be of good character
- Richard Coriasco Jr.
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!