Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
It's our single most bountiful resource. Yet, water is a daily privilege millions take for granted. The little known truth is that lack of clean and accessible drinking water is the second largest worldwide killer of children under five.
To address this situation, a nationwide effort was launched during World Water Week called the Tap Project, a campaign that celebrates the clean and accessible tap water available as an every day privilege to millions, while helping UNICEF provide safe drinking water to children around the world.
The Tap Project.
Beginning Sunday, March 22 through Saturday, March 28, 2009, restaurants invited their customers to donate a minimum of $1 or more, for the tap water they would normally get for free. For every dollar raised, a child will have clean drinking water for 40 days.
As the world's leading children's organization, UNICEF understands the critical role water plays in a child's survival.
Currently, UNICEF provides access to safe water and sanitation facilities while promoting safe hygiene practices in more than 90 countries. By 2015, UNICEF's goal is to reduce the number of people without safe water and basic sanitation by 50 percent.
Tap Water Facts The Situation
· More than 5,000 children are dying every day as a result of water-borne diseases
· For each dollar spent on water and sanitation projects, the projected return on investment is from $3 to $34How UNICEF Helps
· UNICEF works to improve access to safe water and sanitation facilities in schools and communities, while promoting safe hygiene practices in more than 90 countries around the world
· More than 1.2 billion people gained access to improved drinking water between 1990 and 2004 through UNICEF's efforts, and about 1.2 billion gained access to improved sanitation facilities
· UNICEF's goal is to cut the number of people without sustainable access to safe water and basic sanitation in half by 2015
- Yenny Darmajaya
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!