Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of Friends of Literacy is to support the delivery of free, high-quality literacy and adult education programs for adults in Knox County who are inadequately educated to meet the challenges of daily life. Working in partnership with area adult education providers, our goal is to help provide basic education and life-skills training so that our students become better workers, parents and citizens.
Since 1991, Friends of Literacy (FOL) has been a resource for adults in Knox County, Tennessee, who are under-educated or illiterate. Working in partnership with area adult education providers, FOL offers free literacy and high school equivalency diploma (GED and HiSET) classes at locations throughout Knox County. Additionally, FOL’s NEXT STEP program helps GED/HiSET students and recent graduates transition to post-secondary education and/or the workplace.
Friends of Literacy is:
- Private (not government operated)
- Independent (not part of a school system)
- Local (serving only Knox County)
- Governed by a volunteer board of local corporate and community leaders
- Supported by individual and corporate donations
- Supported by local, regional, state and national foundations and granting agencies