Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
New Yorkers Volunteer is a statewide initiative to partner public and private resources and engage New Yorkers of all walks of life in meaningful service opportunities that will meet critical local needs.
The New York State Commission on National and Community Service is a Governor-appointed statewide organization working to grow and strengthen service opportunities for New Yorkers of every age. The Commission was created in December, 1993 to administer AmeriCorps grants under the federal National and Community Service Trust Act.
On September 11, 2008 Governor David A. Paterson announced the creation of a Service and Civic Engagement Cabinet position and appointed Susan Stern, Chair of the State Commission on National and Community Service to this position. In this role, Mrs. Stern will spearhead the Governor's service and civic engagement initiatives in New York State. 46 non-profit, educational, faith-based, or community-based organizations were awarded Americorps grants to promote the goals of the Corporation and New York State to:
- Mobilize More Volunteers - develop the capacity to recruit and manage more volunteers;
- Ensure a Brighter Future for Youth - provide caring adults as mentors for youth from disadvantaged circumstances and to provide more opportunities for youth to serve;
- Engage Students in Communities - help educational institutions at all levels increase volunteer and service-learning opportunities for youth;
- Harness Baby Boomers' Experience - support communities to capture the talents, skills, energy and experience of Baby Boomers and older Americans to meet local and national needs;
- Support Disaster Preparedness - fulfill a wide range of preparedness and response roles including management and coordination of volunteers and resources, training and development of coordinated response plans, and providing direct service to affected communities.
- Mark Walter
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!