Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
AARP Tax-Aide is the nation's largest free, volunteer-run tax assistance and preparation service available to taxpayers with low- and moderate-income, with special attention to those age 60 and older. Over 33,000 AARP Tax-Aide volunteers, trained in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), now help over 2 million taxpayers file their federal, state, and local tax returns each year at nearly 7,000 AARP Tax-Aide sites nationwide.
AARP Tax-Aide helps low- and moderate-income taxpayers file their personal income tax returns. Volunteers are trained to assist in filing the 1040 tax form and basic schedules. Taxpayers with complex tax returns are advised
to seek paid tax assistance.
• Free year-round tax assistance on the Internet allows taxpayers to pose tax questions to online assistors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from the comfort of their home by visiting our website at www.aarp.org/taxaide.
AARP Tax-Aide offers a variety of services each year from late January / early February through April 15.
• Free face-to-face tax assistance and preparation are provided at nearly 7,000 AARP Tax-Aide sites nationwide, located in senior centers, libraries, community centers, and at other convenient locations. AARP Tax-Aide volunteers also visit hospitals and nursing homes, if possible.
• Electronic filing (e-filing) is offered at most sites nationwide. E-filing ensures a more accurate tax return and faster processing of tax refunds.
The History of AARP Tax-Aide
AARP Tax-Aide started in 1968 when four volunteers helped older taxpayers complete their tax returns. This was one of AARP's early efforts to use volunteers to ensure that important services were available to older people.
Since 1980, the program has operated under a cooperative agreement with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as part of its Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program. In 1996, AARP transferred the federal funds for and the administration of the AARP Tax-Aide program to the AARP Foundation in accordance with the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995.
AARP Tax-Aide Volunteers
Over 33,000 AARP Tax-Aide volunteers are:
• from all ages, races, ethnic groups, income levels, and educational backgrounds;
• holding numerous volunteer positions at nearly 7,000 sites nationwide;
• trained comprehensively in cooperation with the IRS; and
• reimbursed for qualified program-related expenses.
To become an AARP Tax-Aide volunteer, visit the AARP Tax-Aide website at www.aarp.org/taxaide or call the AARP toll-free number at 1-888-AARPNOW (1-888-227-7669).
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!