Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
MISSION STATEMENT Barrett Transitional Home is a nonprofit 501 © 3 corporation which provides transitional housing and services to single and single pregnant women who find themselves in a homeless situation for a variety of reasons. Barrett Transitional Home's goal is to break the cycle of homelessness and reestablish self-esteem, self-empowerment, and self-sufficiency in women who will become productive contributors to society. Our Beginning- Barrett first opened its doors in September 2000, after many hours of program and grant development by members of the Basilica of St. Mary. Father Barrett (from the Basilica) had a calling to go beyond St. Mary's soup kitchen and do more for the Norfolk homeless. Barrett Transitional Home bares his name. Barrett has undergone many changes as it has matured to what it is today. There are currently 4 full time staff members and many volunteers to maintain the home and provide services for the women.
BTH Staff work with each individual woman to develop a
Life Action Plan, consisting of the following:
- To find employment opportunities and maintain professionalism.
- To assist women with Educational goals and GED Preparation.
- Conflict Resolution- Assistance with conflict resolution in their personal and workplace lives.
- Parenting- Instilling proper parental values
- Food Preparation- Learning about proper nutrition and food preparation.
- Literacy ? Some of the women have literacy problems, therefore BTH offers several programs to assist them.
- Health Issues- BTH helps women take care of their bodies, including pre/post natal for those women with/or expecting children.
- Candidates must be referred from a city agency or emergency/domestic violence shelter.
- Candidates may range in age from 18+ to 61 years.
- Candidates must be single females or single, pregnant females without dependent children.
- Recovering substance abusers must be verifiably drug-free for a minimum of 90 days prior to admission, and be participating in a drug rehabilitative/counseling program.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!