Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Spellbinders is dedicated to restoring the art of oral storytelling by connecting elders to youth, weaving together the wisdom of diverse cultures throughout the ages. Story is as old as dream and as powerful as time. Since ancient times storytellers have told stories to pass on wisdom, engage the imagination and foster community. Our storytelling program recreates this age-old tradition, advancing literacy and sparking imaginations that enrich the lives of children and volunteers alike.
Boulder Valley Spellbinders is an affiliate of the national organization of Spellbinders which has 374 volunteers nationwide who are paired with more than 2,000 classrooms. Each volunteer returns to the same classrooms each month to provide a 20- to 40-minute oral storytelling session; the length depends on the age of the children and the needs of the teacher. Through these storytelling sessions, we aim to:
- Enhance children’s language development, listening skills and comprehension.
- Ignite children’s imaginations.
- Expose children to cultures from around the world and throughout time.
- Show children that adults in their community care about them and want them to succeed.
- Provide children with positive, character-building role models, both in the stories and in our volunteers.
- Show children that 'dragons’ in whatever form they make take can be slain and that heroes and heroines can come from unlikely places and in unexpected forms. It is our firm belief that stories are a much better vehicle than lectures to help adopt the skill sets of grit, perseverance and hope.