Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Friends of Rainbow Springs State Park, Inc. (FORS) exists to promote community interest in Rainbow Springs State Park and to assist in the Florida Park Service mission of providing resource-based recreation while preserving, interpreting and restoring natural and cultural resources.
CSO - CITIZENS
- The original corps of volunteers initiated the incorporation of FORS as a "Citizens Support Organization" or CSO, a state sanctioned program to raise funds for management approved projects in the park. The corporation became a reality in 1993 as the "Friends of Rainbow Springs" or FORS. The weekend operation, facility rehabilitation and introduction of fundraising events were early efforts of the volunteers. The work of the volunteers was merged with a Florida Park Service staff to make full time park operations possible in 1995 when Rainbow Springs State Park officially opened as a full-service state park.
- MAJOR FORS EFFORTS
- The FORS-operated gift shop and food concession account for the majority of our fundraising efforts.
- The annual "Santa Over the Rainbow" event has become an anticipated community event.
- FORS also sponsors an annual educational and history program, "Cracker Days," which brings to life Florida in the late 1800's.
- Other programs during the year include a Spring and Fall Art Show and Sale, a Fall Woodturners Show and Sale, Kindergarten Days for local school children, the Sunflower Fest for area assisted-living facility residents. The latter two events are by invitation only. FORS members also provide support for park-sponsored programs throughout the year.