Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Controller is the Chief Fiscal Officer of California, the eighth-largest economy in the world. Elected every four years, the Controller makes sure the State’s $100 billion budget is spent properly, helps administer two of the nation's largest public pension funds, and serves on 78 State boards and commissions. These are charged with everything from protecting our coastline to overseeing crime victim compensation.
The State Controller's Functions
- Account for and control disbursement of all state funds.
- Determine legality and accuracy of every claim against the State.
- Issue warrants in payment of the State’s bills including lottery prizes.
- Administer the Uniform State Payroll System.
- Audit and process all personnel and payroll transactions for state civil service employees, exempt employees and California State University employees.
- Responsible for auditing various state and local government programs.
- Inform the public of the State’s financial condition.
- Administer the Unclaimed Property Law.
- Inform the public of financial transactions of city, county and district governments.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY -- Volunteering for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), a national program run by the IRS that helps low- and mid-income families file their taxes for FREE at locations across California.