Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Big Brothers Big Sisters is the oldest, largest and most effective youth mentoring organization in the United States.We have been the leader in one-to-one youth service for more than a century, developing positive relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of young people. Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors children, ages 6 through 18, in communities across the country- including yours. The Big Brothers Big Sisters Mission is to help children reach their potential through professionally supported, one-to-one relationships with mentors that have a measurable impact on youth.
Big Brothers Big Sisters matches children ages 6 through 18 withmentors in professionally supported one-to-one relationships. We have volunteer programs in communities across the country -- including yours.
Big Brothers Big Sisters has a variety of volunteer opportunities available.
Matches come together through our two essential programs:
- Community-based Mentoring : For as little as an hour a week, Bigs and Littles meet in their community to share fun activities ... stories ... and a little bit of themselves.
- School-based Mentoring : Bigs and Littles meet once a week in schools, libraries and community centers, to talk and have fun. It's not about being a tutor ... it's about being a friend.
Our Mentoring Programs Work
National research has shown that positive relationships between youthand their Big Brothers and Big Sisters mentors have a direct andmeasurable impact on children's lives. By participating in our youthmentoring programs, Little Brothers and Sisters are:
- More confident in their schoolwork performance
- Able to get along better with their families
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school.
1 Tierney, J.P., Grossman, J.B., and Resch, N.L. (1995) Making a Difference: An Impact Study of Big Brothers Big Sisters . Philadelphia: Public/Private Ventures