Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The specific, primary purposes for which this League is organized are:
* To provide an organized, slowpitch softball League where any woman can participate in the sport in a safe, healthy, positive atmosphere that is free of the negative attitudes based on differences in sexual orientation that are often faced by members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) communities.
* To promote the general welfare of its participants and the general community.
* To foster good will and understanding between the general community and LGBT community.
* To promote good sportsmanship.
* To develop leadership skills among its participants.
* For no fee or for a nominal fee, to teach the sport of slowpitch softball to new players, regardless of physical handicap, age, race, creed, religion, national origin, gender, previous gender or sexual orientation; and to improve the skills of any players who are already experienced.
* To provide appropriate competition for players and teams of all skill levels.
* To develop teams to compete in ASANA's annual Gay Women's Softball World Series Softball tournament so that they can represent the San Jose metropolitan area and our League in a positive manner.
* To organize and promote participation in such athletic, social, cultural or charitable activities as may serve the preceding purposes.
Who are you and what's this all about....
Thanks for your interest in The San Jose Women's Softball League (SJWSL), formerly known as the Savoy Women's Softball League.
2008 marks our completion of FIVE YEARS of FUN, SOFTBALL, FRIEND-MAKING AND SOME! The first pitch was thrown on April 8, 2003, when we started strong with eight teams. We have since doubled in size to become the largest women's softball league in the South Bay Area with SIXTEEN teams registered for spring 2008.
This league was formed to provide a positive, ALL-welcoming, atmosphere that's about "a little more than just softball." Details are outlined in the Mission Statement below, but to sum it up, the league is about having fun playing softball in a safe, community-oriented environment that is free of the negative attitudes that are often faced by members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) communities.
Players and teams in this league feel a sense of belonging and a "special, friendly connection with other teams" that is not usually felt in other leagues. When you play with a SJWSL team, you feel as if you are playing with the LEAGUE, not just with one team. We are all in this together!
Because this league is self-run, its players have a say in its rules and policies... something you don't get from "ordinary" leagues. And unlike other leagues, this League provides its teams with fundraising tools so that they can offset or cover the cost of their participation fees. Teams and players are also encouraged to help with the tasks that make the league tick, and participate in an occasional charitable project. Not much is asked of each of us, but the little we each do adds to the fun and the sense of community and collaboration.
The SJWSL is an incorporated 501(c)4 not-for-profit, social welfare organization. Our league games are hosted by the City of San Jose's Adult Sports Department, but teams and players must sign up directly through the SJWSL. We warmly welcome ALL women of all skill levels.
We are proud to be a member of the Amateur Sports Associaton of North America (ASANA - formerly NAGAAA), along with 27 other women's softball leagues like ours from across the USA and Canada. Our teams are eligible to earn berths to represent our league at the one of the world's largest annual gay sporting events, the Gay Softball World Series, which will be held in Seattle in August 2008.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!