Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
PYO Mission The mission of Partners for Youth Opportunity (PYO) is to partner with the community to provide Durham youth with opportunities to connect, develop, and contribute through mentoring, employment and educational support.
Partners for Youth Opportunity (PYO) is the product of a merger between YO:Durham (Year of Opportunity for Durham Teens), and Partners for Youth, two organizations that have served a similar population of Durham youth for the past several years. Both organizations were created to address the growing "opportunity gap" resulting from the chronic disconnection of Durham youth from economic and educational opportunities.
PYO is built on the idea that each child flourishes best when surrounded by multiple supportive adults. This is why we match each of our students with a team of four mentors:
- A community-based mentor
- A tutor
- A school-based mentor
- A job-based/professional mentor
By surrounding our students with a team of mentors our hope is that each PYO student will...
- Receive the support and resources necessary to help them improve their academic performance, graduate on time, and pursue post-secondary education.
- Generate income from paid internships and stay out of trouble when school is not in session
- Gain work experience that makes them more employable in the future.
- Broaden their horizons and steer away from gangs, poverty, and unemployment.