Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of the foundation is to bring about a cure for SMA through research. We also strive to educate the public about the effects of SMA, and educate SMA parents and the medical community about recent advances in patient care.
Our challenge is to save lives, and we believe a cure for struggling families is just over the horizon. Please help by becoming a part of our growing army of supporters. You will give these children hope!
The Hope and Light Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit public charity founded in December of 2004 by Aaron and Stephanie Miller. Stunned by the diagnosis of their first child with SMA Type I, the Millers dedicated themselves to caring for their daughter and finding a cure for a disease they had never heard of.
Spinal Muscular Atrophy is the leading genetic killer of babies and toddlers under the age of two.
• SMA is a genetic disease characterized by a degeneration of motor neurons in the spinal cord.
• SMA rapidly destroys a child's muscle control and strength, leading to the progressive inability to walk, stand, sit up, eat, and ultimately, breathe.
• There are three types of SMA (I, II and III). SMA Type I is the most severe. In 80% of affected Type 1 children, death occurs before age one.
• An estimated 1 in 6,000 to 1 in 10,000 infants are born with SMA.
• 1 in 35 people are carriers for SMA.
- Marlon Grigsby
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!