Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The American Widow Project is a non-profit organization dedicated to the new generation of those who have lost the heroes of yesterday, today and tomorrow, with an emphasis on healing through sharing stories, tears and laughter.........Military Widow to Military Widow.
Since 2001, over 6,200 U.S. service members have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Around half of these service members were married, leaving an estimated 3,000 military widows across our country. While the service members sacrifice is acknowledged, many simply forget or fail to recognize the sacrifice of the spouse who is now left a widow of war. Oftentimes, the invisible wounds of military widows are disregarded due to age or simple lack of knowledge and understanding.
Through the AWP, the widows left to carry the legacies of this nations heroes have grasped on and embraced their new lives with all the enthusiasm and passion they had when their spouses were still alive. They are still inspired solely by the will power and strength of those "in their shoes." They have found that true love is eternal, that the things their husbands said and did still run through their veins, and mostly...they are not alone.
What we do;
- Website: compiled with a multitude of resources to help widows with the lifetime of struggles that accompany their new title. From stories, ideas and advice, we have tons of goodies for them to explore.
- DVD: Our 75 minute documentary gives a candid look into the stories, struggles and perseverance of six military widows. The film is being distributed FREE of charge to all military widows and widowers as a key to their healing process.
- Newsletter: ranges in content and keeps widows up to date with scholarships, getaway events and all things AWP.
- Hot-line: 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. No counselors will be answering the calls. Just widows who are going through the same trials and tribulations.
- Getaway Events: We do not hold seminars or have speakers; we simply have each other. The widows come together to enjoy life the way they did when their spouse was still alive. From surfing to skydiving, we are here to enjoy each others company and share some of our fondest memories.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!