Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Lesbian Health Initiative of Houston, Inc. (LHI) is dedicated to eliminating barriers to healthcare and promoting health and wellness for LGBT women and transgender men through Education, Access & Advocacy programs.
LHI-Houston is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
Founded in 1992, The Lesbian Health Initiative of Houston, Inc. (LHI), a 501(c)3, is dedicated to eliminating barriers to healthcare for LGBT identified women & transgender men in order to prevent disease and promote wellness. To address research and federal government validated health disparities, LHI provides healthcare Education, Access and Advocacy programs for and on behalf of LGBT identified women & transgender men.
LHI's expanding healthcare access programs include two Health Fairs, better described as a multi-provider and multi-healths screening clinic, a year, the first Saturday in June and November. At these biannaul Health Fairs and with our partners, LHI provides culturally competent care and free mammograms, pap, extensive blood screening, heart & vascular risk assessments, body & skin scans and seasonal flu shots and other healthcare information and services for uninsured or underinsured LGBT women & transgender men.
LHI's LGBT culturally sensitive & competent healthcare screening and services partners include:
- Legacy Community Health Services (Health Fair location and screenings)
- The Rose
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- San Jose Clinic
- Women's Heart and Vascular Health at Texas Heart Institute
- Neighborhood Health Centers (Memorial Hermann)
- Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast
- Montrose Center (behavioral health)
- MaryAlice Cowan, M.D. OB/Gyn
- Cynthia McNeil, M.D OB/Gyn
LHI believes collaboration is key to efficiently and effectively eliminating barriers to healthcare for LGBT women and is a proud member of:
- National Coalition for LGBT Health
- One Voice Texas
- Breast Health Collaborative of Texas
- Women's Health Inititative of Texas
- Latinos in a Cancer Control Network
- Breast & Cervical Cancer Control Networks at UT MD Anderson
- Raising Women's Voices
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!