Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
GIRL is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to mentor and empower teen girls for future success through promoting academic excellence, leadership skills, community service, a healthy lifestyle, and self-esteem.
Since 2010 GIRL has
- Hosted monthly workshops that focused on academic success strategies, preparation for college and careers, leadership development, healthy relationships, health and fitness, positive self-esteem, and entrepreneurship and workshops that were led by professional women.
- Organized career field trips to Exxon Mobil, The White House, McKissack & McKissack, and WJLA/ABC 7
- Presented three Annual Career Conferences:
- A Spotlight on STEM sponsored by the U.S. Coast Guard - 2011 Career Conference
- Career and Empowerment Conference in partnership with George Mason University
Women and Gender Studies Center - 2013
- Career Conference: Careers of the 21st Century sponsored by Hewlett Packard - 2014
- Partnered with George Mason University College of Science STEM Accelerator Program to create F.O.C.U.S. (Females of Color Underrepresented in STEM) - a week-long summer camp for middle school girls and STEM Mania - a week-long camp for 3rd-5th graders
- Partnered with The SheEO Academy to offer a scholarship for a girl to attend Camp She EO, which is designed to expose girls ages 8-16 to business, entrepreneurship, finances, and goal-setting
- Partnered with the Virginia Girls’ Summit to present a conference to empower teen girls who’s 2014 keynote speaker was Misty Copeland
- Published a book, Pearls of Wisdom for Girls by Girls, in which the girls expressed their creativity and feelings about their dreams, career interests, and self-confidence through writing of poems, short stories, essays, and open letters- Hosted an Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service in partnership with the City of Fairfax Council on Women to prepare care packages for young survivors of human trafficking
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!