Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
GIRL is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to mentor and empower teen girls for future success through promoting academic excellence, leadership skills, community service, a healthy lifestyle, and self-esteem.
Since 2010 GIRL has
- Hosted monthly workshops that focused on academic success strategies, preparation for college and careers, leadership development, healthy relationships, health and fitness, positive self-esteem, and entrepreneurship and workshops that were led by professional women.
- Organized career field trips to Exxon Mobil, The White House, McKissack & McKissack, and WJLA/ABC 7
- Presented three Annual Career Conferences:
- A Spotlight on STEM sponsored by the U.S. Coast Guard - 2011 Career Conference
- Career and Empowerment Conference in partnership with George Mason University
Women and Gender Studies Center - 2013
- Career Conference: Careers of the 21st Century sponsored by Hewlett Packard - 2014
- Partnered with George Mason University College of Science STEM Accelerator Program to create F.O.C.U.S. (Females of Color Underrepresented in STEM) - a week-long summer camp for middle school girls and STEM Mania - a week-long camp for 3rd-5th graders
- Partnered with The SheEO Academy to offer a scholarship for a girl to attend Camp She EO, which is designed to expose girls ages 8-16 to business, entrepreneurship, finances, and goal-setting
- Partnered with the Virginia Girls’ Summit to present a conference to empower teen girls who’s 2014 keynote speaker was Misty Copeland
- Published a book, Pearls of Wisdom for Girls by Girls, in which the girls expressed their creativity and feelings about their dreams, career interests, and self-confidence through writing of poems, short stories, essays, and open letters- Hosted an Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service in partnership with the City of Fairfax Council on Women to prepare care packages for young survivors of human trafficking
- Danielle Blunt
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!