Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Transportation Riders United (TRU) is Detroit's transit advocate, dedicated to revitalizing greater Detroit by improving and promoting public transit.
Our mission is to improve transportation access and mobility in greater Detroit by informing and educating the pubic and officials about the importance of public transportation options; promoting discourse on loca, regional, and state developments relating to transportation; improving public transportation; and promoting alternatives to highway expansion.
To be truly successful, the Greater Detroit region needs a quality regional rapid transit system, connecting the region quickly and conveniently, just like other major cities. It will provide:
- Thousands of jobs and billions in local economic activity;
- More redevelopment near urban transit stops and decreased outer-ring sprawl;
- A more attractive environment for knowledge workers and businesses;
- Increased mobility for seniors citizens, people with disabilities and young people;
- Decreased traffic congestion and air pollution; and
- More transportation choices at a lower cost for all residents.
"A group called TRU - Transportation Riders United - has been trying to boost mass transit in the Detroit area in a sophisticated and politically savvy way."
- Jack Lessenberry , Michigan Radio
In just eight years and with a primarily volunteer effort, TRU has developed a strong track record of doing the research, presenting the facts, involving the public, developing the coalitions and educating the leaders needed to achieve quality transit in Detroit .
We are currently working to:
- Make proposals for a Detroit-Airport-Ann Arbor commuter train and a Woodward light rail line a reality
- Continue to improve bus service to provide a better alternative to current and new riders
- Reframe the public debate to highlight the economic development, job creation, and urban revitalization benefits of transit
- Support major public investment in transit at the local, regional, state and federal levels.