Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Our mission is RAD - Rising Above Disabilities! RAD is dedicated to offering awesome programs and experiences for adults and children with developmental disabilities, much-deserved respite for their caregivers and life-changing volunteer opportunities for the local community! Join our RAD Camp Family, today!
- Camps - RAD Camp provides two summer camps each year. RAD Camp, held the first week of July, serves adults 18 years of age and older. RAD Jr. held the second week in August serves children, 4 to 17 years of age.
- Programs: Our summer camps include all of these amazing activities for our Campers:
- Arts and Crafts
- Journal (our version of scrapbooking!)
- Talent Show
- Concert ...and Much More!
- Campers - Serving adults (18+) and children (4-17) with developmental disabilities, RAD Camp ensures that every participant is treated with respect, while encouraging independence, growth, and most importantly, FUN! Most importantly, at RAD Camp we focus on each camper’s ability - not disability - and are dedicated to making sure each participant has a great time in a safe and caring environment
- Volunteers - At RAD we offer one-on-one attention with a 1:1 ratio of camper to counselor and 24-hour nursing care, onsite. And, our Camp Chef and amazing Kitchen Angels ensure any and all special diets can be accommodated. With an awesome family of trained volunteer counselors and program staff, RAD provides the very best care and enthusiasm for our Campers! Each volunteer is hand selected, comes highly recommended and goes through background checks, fingerprinting, personalized interviews and receives training in communication, behavior modification and basic first aid.
- Medical Care: With a staff of Registered, licensed and insured nurses we can provide all necessary care including medicine distribution, monitoring, emergency response and first aid. Every camper, with their caregiver, receives a thorough medical and physical assessment to evaluate health and wellbeing. We adhere to thorough policies and procedures to ensure every camper is healthy and physically able to participate, requiring a physical and doctor's approval prior to arrival.
- Venue - RAD Camps are located at the Irvine Outdoor Education Center in Orange. These brand new facilities offer ADA dorms and bathrooms, two pools, acres of fields for sports and games and are conveniently located in central Orange County!
- RAD Stats:
- We are currently the largest residential camp for adults and children with developmental disabilities in Southern California - serving more than 200 campers and their families
- We have more than 500 volunteers for the Camps
- We are the only residential (overnight) camp for people with disabilities in SoCal
- We serve all forms of developmental disabilities including down syndrome, cerebral palsy, autism, and more
- We serve male and female, alike
- We serve all ethnicities
- We serve primarily Orange County residents but have volunteers and participants from LA, San Diego and Riverside counties - there is no restriction regarding residency and participation
- All counselors, program staff, chef and kitchen crew and directors are volunteers
- We have a 98% return rate of Campers year over year and an 86% return rate of volunteers! More than 50% of our volunteers began volunteering in high school and have returned for 5 years or more! 10% of those have chosen a career in service to those with special needs such as Special Education Teachers, Occupational Therapists, Behavior Aids, Doctors, Nurses and Advocates!
- RAD Stats:
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!