Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
To protect and promote optimal health for all Vermonters
The Department of Health is proud to continue a long tradition of public health service in Vermont. We are the state’s lead agency for public health policy and advocacy.
Public health is the system that works to protect and promote the health of citizens. It is the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging healthy life and promoting physical and mental health.
Not only do people with better health habits generally live longer; those years are more likely to be free of disease and disability.
The Health Department’s many programs and initiatives help Vermonters live fuller, healthier lives from birth through old age.
- We focus on prevention, which is perhaps the best investment that can be made in health.
- We educate and inform Vermonters about eating a healthy diet, regular exercise and not smoking.
- We promote and improve access to immunizations, mammograms, HIV/AIDS testing and care, and prenatal care.
- We license physicians and hospitals, inspect food and lodging establishments, and enforce health regulations.
- We prepare for and respond to public health emergencies and threats, and provide the public with information to help them stay safe and healthy.
Essential public health and disease prevention services are available across Vermont through our 12 district offices. The district offices work in partnership with local health care providers, voluntary agencies, schools, businesses and community organizations to improve health and extend statewide initiatives in local communities throughout the state.
As part of the Agency of Human Services, the department works in concert with the Departments of Mental Health, Children and Families, Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living, Corrections, and the Department of Vermont Health Access to improve the health and well-being of Vermonters.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!