Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.We believe that such an atmosphere engenders a positive sense of self, which is the basis of educational achievement and personal growth. Since homophobia and heterosexism undermine a healthy school climate, we work to educate teachers, students and the public at large about the damaging effects these forces have on youth and adults alike.
We recognize that forces such as racism and sexism have similarly adverse impacts on communities and we support schools in seeking to redress all such inequities.
GLSEN seeks to develop school climates where difference is valued for the positive contribution it makes in creating a more vibrant and diverse community. We welcome any and all individuals as members, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or occupation, who are committed to seeing this philosophy realized in K-12 schools.
GLSEN Greater Cincinnati is a local chapter of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network. We work for safe, respectful K-12 schools for all, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Our programs include:
- GLSEN Greater Cincinnati Youth Group, a weekly social and organizing group for LGBTQPIA and allied high school age youth, with professional co-facilitators
- GLSEN Greater Cincinnati Youth Summit, a free annual day-long conference of workshops, networking sessions and community building for LGBTQ and allied youth, and adults who work with youth
- Improving School Outcomes Summit, an annual program for educators to set a safe, respectful tone in their schools, presented by a coalition including the YWCA's Family Violence Prevention Project, Cincinnati Children's, HRC, Council on Child Abuse and Talbert House
- Trainings including Safe Space, which empowers educators to be identifiable resources to LGBTQ and allied students
- Support of Gay Straight Alliances and Gay Straight Trans Alliances in schools
- Stories Project, illustrating school experiences through multimedia. View Stories Project: NOW on YouTube
GLSEN Greater Cin- See more at: http://www.glsen.org/chapters/cincinnati/ourchapter#sthash.yrxIZz00.dpuf