Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Arc of Texas creates opportunities for all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities to actively participate in their communities and make the choices that affect their lives in a positive manner.
What We Do
Advocacy- The Arc is here to teach individuals and their families how to effectively advocate for themselves and the people they care about.
Trainings- The Arc offers an array of effective trainings in advocacy, education, and independent living.
Information and Referral- The Arc has a wealth of knowledge on all aspects of interest to individuals and families of people with disabilities.
Since our founding in 1950 by a group of parents of children with intellectual and developmental disabilities, The Arc at the local, state and national level has been instrumental in the creation of virtually every program, service, right, and benefit that is now available to more than half a million Texans with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Today, The Arc continues to advocate for including people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in all aspects of society.
- People First. The Arc believes that all people with intellectual and developmental disabilities have strengths, abilities and inherent value; are equal before the law; and must be treated with dignity and respect. The Arc represents, supports and acts on behalf of individuals and their families regardless of level of disability or membership in The Arc. The Arc believes in self-determination by empowering people with the supports needed to make informed decisions and choices.
- Democracy. A democratic process involving members, through affiliated chapters, is utilized to take positions on important issues, policies and programs.
- Visionary Leadership. The Arc leads by promoting the mission, core values and position statements. We lead with integrity, accountability and by open, honest and timely communication. We work with individuals, organizations and coalitions in a collaborative fashion. There is a valued partnership with volunteer and staff leadership at all levels of the organization that provides mutual support for their respective roles.
- Community Participation. The Arc works toward and believes in the community imperative: that all people have the fundamental moral, civil and constitutional rights to live, learn, work, play and worship in safe and healthy communities of their choosing. The Arc works to ensure the safety and well being of individuals.
- Diversity. The Arc values and insists upon diversity in its leadership and membership. The Arc actively pursues and welcomes diverse groups (including but not limited to race, ethnicity, religion, age, geographic location, sexual orientation, gender and level of disability).
- Integrity and Excellence. The Arc conducts its business with integrity. The Arc reflects quality and excellence in all its work.
- Arianna Roman
- (512) 454-6694
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!