Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of the School of American Music is to provide education, performance, and audience opportunities in music, and related arts, in the Southwest Michigan area.
- EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING - offer programs only when there are highly qualified people to lead them
- OPENNESS - operate a community institution based on transparency, fairness and openness to all in participation and governance
- SUSTAINABILITY - ensure financial security and the ability to continue to provide programs
- AFFORDABLITY - keep fees low and provide scholarships when needed
- SUPPORT LOCAL ARTISTS & TEACHERS - they are vital to our quality of life
The School of American Music is developing and operating the Three Arts and Education Center (dba).
The site of the A&E Center is the former Theee Oaks Village Hall. Re-design and consrruction of the new space is underway and some programs have begun. The mission of the Three Oaks Arts and Education Center is to provide a place where children can focus on subjects not emphasized in the public schools like art and music; a place where teens can get together for activities they enjoy like using a recording studio; a place where grownups can meet, have exercise classes, be in a community choir, and pursue cultural/educational opportunities. These activities are desired by local residents because they fulfill lifelong educational, vocational, and social needs.
We aim to attract teachers and volunteers to build out progrmming in a number of areas, including:
Clap Your Hands Group class for children 3-5 years: dance, singing, storytelling, art, and movement.
Community Choir For any age, led by Priscilla Hellenga
Music Recording Student interns use professional equipment to record CDs, demos, oral history, birthday/holiday gifts, etc.
Music Performance Student interns operate A&E indoor/outdoor stages for low-risk, low cost venue for starters or old timers to play for a group
THEATER Outdoor stage, indoor rehearsal space for any age level of theater, storytelling, puppets, local groups.
Chess Club Outdoor chess boards.
Painting drawing, watercolor, oils