Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Association of African American Single Mothers is non-profit 501(c)(3) organization with exempt status currently in California. The Association was designed to address the needs of the single parent household headed by women and issues specific to individuals living in poverty. The AAASM is open to all single mothers regardless of race or religion and is currently located in Sacramento California.
Ninety percent of all single parent households headed by women live in poverty and our primary goal is to address that concern in a variety of ways and with long lasting effects. We will combine the "social services" aspect of the program with a focus on the production of businesses and jobs in communities experiencing the highest levels of unemployment
and poverty. This report is designed to present our ideas in an effort to gain your support as we push this program forward.
The AAASM addresses the areas of education, financial stability, self-motivation and discipline through programs and services. As a program tailored to address the needs of those living in poverty and more specifically, black women living in poverty, we have set our goals as follows:
1) Begin the Women's Self Awareness Program in low-income neighborhoods for all single mothers regardless of race or religion.
2) Begin economic development programs in low-income neighborhoods that will produce jobs for residents of those neighborhoods.
3) Encourage and aid single mothers in attaining a Bachelors degree or higher or to achieve a marketable specialized skill.
4) Increase awareness of Black History and Heritage for children.
5) Aid and direct all children, grades 3 through 8, in achieving a math grade of C or higher.
6) Provide mentoring program for young boys who live without a father in the home.
7) Work closely with neighborhood businesses to increase awareness of the program and begin partnerships and commitments to the program and its services.
8) Begin and maintain community outreach that services the elderly.
9) Work closely with Government Officials to put policy in place that will address the issues of poverty in the single parent home.
10) Emphasize the importance of unity, self-respect and family within the African American Community