Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
San Quentin is California's oldest and best known correctional institution. The prison today includes a reception center for new commitments, general population units, and a minimum security work crew unit. The state's only execution chamber and death row for all male condemned inmates are located at San Quentin.
The Division of Community Partnerships (DCP) contributes to public safety by creating and strengthening partnerships with key stakeholders, identifying innovative, evidence-based programming for the incarcerated, and strengthening the state and local continuums of service for the formerly incarcerated going back into the communities.
Volunteers are currently needed in the San Quentin Office of Community Partnerships in a variety of areas including program analysis, evaluation, and administration. Volunteer staffing will allow more citizens to better understand the complexities of incarceration and the justice system, as well as provide a cost-free way to increase positive program effect within the prison and beyond.
DCP efforts include:
- Creating strong partnerships with community-based providers and the communities to which the incarcerated return, in order to provide services critical to the success of those who were formerly incarcerated.
- Providing oversight of programs and services designed to meet the religious and self-help programming needs of the incarcerated.
- Creating opportunities to increase volunteer participation and monitoring the effective delivery of services to people while incarcerated and through parole.
- Supporting programs that strengthen the ties of incarcerated people with their families and other community support systems.
- Developing grant and other opportunities for community and faith-based organizations and local government to encourage collaboration and innovative programming in the support of re-integrating formerly incarcerated people back into their local communities.
- Increasing communication and collaboration between the various sectors with the goal of improving the effectiveness and efficiency of systems available to meet the rehabilitative needs of incarcerated people.
About DCP Services and Programs:
- Community Collaboration - Serves as liaison to the community regarding the development of programs designed to reduce recidivism. The Division facilitates and encourages collaborative relationships with local government, non-profit agencies and service providers through the maintenance of the Community Resources Directory, the provision of technical assistance, and the convening of stakeholder forums. A key convening is a Reentry Advisory Committee that is chaired by the Secretary. It solicits advice on all matters related to the successful statewide planning, implementation and outcomes of all reentry programs and services offered by CDCR.
- Program Development - Provides resources and opportunities to develop, plan and implement innovative program designs which are evidence-based and demonstrate promising practices related to recidivism reduction. The principle programs are Intergovernmental Partnerships (IGP) Grant Program and the Community-Based Reentry Initiative (CBRI) Grant Program. They provide opportunities for capacity building, collaboration and increased services for formerly incarcerated persons..
- Religious Programs - Provides functional supervision and coordination of the Department's religious programs with consultation from the State Advisory Committee on Institutional Religion (SACIR) and the Chaplains' Coordinating Committee (CCC). The Department utilizes the services of staff chaplains as well as a cadre of community volunteers to provide religious services to the incarcerated population.
- Visiting Services - Facilitates family visits inside institutions.
- Prisoner Representative Program - Ensures that incarcerated individuals are provided assistance with family issues and pre-release planning.
- Laura Bowman
- (415) 455-5000
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!