Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Literacy Center's Mission is to help people of the Lehigh Valley achieve literacy and English language skilld needed to succeed in life.
The Literacy Center was established in 1977 by a small group of Allentown residents concerned with the plight of area residents who were being held back in life due to illiteracy. Originally funded with seed monies from the Lutheran Synod, The Literacy Center established itself as an independent non-profit organization in 1984 and has gone on to provide free, community-based literacy instruction to more than 22,000 local adults. The Literacy Center holds true to the simple belief that literacy can, in fact, change lives for the positive by opening the door to a better future. For that reason, we strive to be a leader in community-based literacy education built on innovative, cost-effective services that ensure excellence in student outcomes.
Services: The Literacy Center offers the following services, all at no charge to students:
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) for those with reading skills at the pre-literacy to 4 th grade levels
- Pre-GED and GED instruction for those with reading levels above the 4 th grade level who lack a high school diploma
- English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction at the beginning, intermediate, advanced, and transitional academic levels
- Health literacy and basic computer literacy
- Related services such as free children’s book distribution and language-learner’s conversation clubs.
Instruction is offered at our offices and in spaces donated through public schools, churches and community centers.