Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Our mission is to provide programs and services that will empower families, youth, and individuals by helping them to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for successful living in today's society. Our motto of "Building Communities by Strengthening Families" is the driving force behind all of our services.
Since our founding in 1975, CDSC has helped more than 20,000 families and individuals from low-income neighborhoods to become self-sufficient and self-reliant. CDSC has made great strides in its efforts to improve the lives of families in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is the backbone of how our organization provides services to our communities. It is the strength that guides our employees to be the highly professional and dedicated group of individuals they are.
We are motivated by the belief that vibrant, healthy communities start with strong, secure families. Since our beginning, we have been in the forefront of the struggle to advance the causes of the most vulnerable and disenfranchised members of our society by combating racism, poverty, and unemployment while addressing the needs of low-income families.
Our unique ability to recognize and adapt to changing community circumstances and needs enable us to continually provide proactive, responsive, relevant, and quality programs and services to our clients. CDSC is a major contributor to the economic strength of the Clinton Hill and Bedford Stuyvesant communities. Annually, over $2,000,000 passes through CDSC and into the community for services rendered. We employ over 50 residents from the community at competitive salaries.Accomplishments
CDSC has achieved numerous critical successes for low-income families. Below are some of our accomplishments:
- Created, with the New York City Child Care Resource and Referral Consortium, a toll-free line to provide information and assistance to parents and child care provides on a myriad of child care related matters in different languages including Russian, Chinese, Spanish, and Haitian Creole. The hot line receives up to 100 calls per day.
- Each year, through our preventive services program we help to stabilize families and prevent 300 children and youth in Central Brooklyn from being placed or re-enter into the foster care system.
- Through our CCR&R program we help over 6,000 families annually to access child care information and resources, and connect them to subsidy funding to pay for their child care needs. We received a Best Practices certification for demonstrating our competence in the field of Child Care Resource and Referral.
- We help more than 3,000 individuals annually to become self-employed by establishing home-based early childhood programs through training, technical assistance and resources.
- We collaborated with the New York City Coalition Against Hunger to form the Brooklyn Alliance of Community Services (BACS), a neighborhood network of emergency food programs and social service organizations in Central Brooklyn. Through our Emergency Food Pantry we help to feed 800 children, seniors, and adults each month.
- Created a partnership with the Brooklyn Outreach Center (BOC) to assist child care providers in becoming successful entrepreneurs.
- Requested and received funding from ACS to develop an Enhanced Teen Preventive Service program.
- More than 20,000 families as well as individuals from low-income and minority neighborhoods have become self-sufficient and self-reliant as a result of our programs and services.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!