Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
MissionTo help children develop skills necessary for success in school and life by learning chess.
- Chess should be fun;
- Parental participation is important to their children's success;
- In academic improvement;
- The skills learned in the Chess for Success program are transferable to life;
- In benefiting from a diversity of experiences, perspectives and ideas; and
- In creating an organizational structure that provides for the long-term sustainability necessary to achieve our vision.
Chess for Success is a non-profit educational program that uses chess to help children build and develop skills that will help them be successful in school and life. We sponsor chess clubs in elementary and middle schools where at least 35% of the children qualify for free and reduced lunches.
Participating schools host after-school chess clubs and we pay a coach, usually a teacher in the school, to run a club that is open to all children at the school. Girls represent 35% of the members in our clubs which is triple the national average. Clubs meet for an hour twice per week and we require no fees from the participating schools or children.
Chess for Success provides:
- Training sessions for coaches
- Comprehensive lesson plans
- Chess equipment for the clubs
- Library books for the school
- Practice tournaments
- Tournament registration fees for the regional and state championship tournaments
- Chessboards and pieces for the children to take home at the end of the year
- Tee shirts that the clubs design
Our program is very cost-effective, an average of $75 per student per year for 50 hours of after-school chess club. Clubs are very inclusive and one of the few after-school programs that brings together boys and girls, talented and gifted students, special education students and English language learners.