Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Mission of Garden Harvest, Inc. is to alleviate hunger and improve nutrition of disadvantaged persons, and, in the process, to promote those sustainable methods of food production that preserve & regenerate the Earth’s precious resources - including the saving of endangered breeds of farm animals - that are so essential to ensure adequate food for the world’s future generations.. To fulfill this mission:
- In the short term:
- Garden Harvest community farms produce and distribute fresh, organic fruit, vegetables, eggs, and soon dairy products to the soup kitchens, emergency food pantries, homeless shelters and other not-for-profit organizations that feed and shelter needy citizens100% of the organic vegetables, fruit, eggs, and milk produced is given to the poor.
- We use, and promote the use of, heritage farm animals, now in danger of extinction; these animals enable farmers to produce food most economically and sustainably both by their direct contribution of milk and eggs and also by the work that they do that increases crop production (mowing, insect control, plowing,c ompost turning, fertilizing, weeding).
- For the long term:
- We have an education program that teaches: 1) organic gardening/sustainable agriculture to promote self-sufficiency and personal and community empowerment, as well as to increase long term sustainable food supplies; 2) nutrition, so that the people who receive the food learn how to store and prepare it to maximize its nutritional benefits; 3) highly marketable construction skills to unemployed young persons; and 4) issues of hunger and homelessness, to raise public awareness and encourage and train volunteers of all ages and all walks of life to participate in the improvement of the lives of their fellow citizens and the betterment of the communities in which they live;
- We donate to poor rural families goats, chickens, sheep, cows, & oxen, which provide a continuous supply of food for the families’ consumption and also for the generation of income.
- We serve as a model for replication both nationally and internationally..
Garden Harvest was founded in 1993, and has been run since then by full time volunteers supported by thousands of part time volunteers each year.
With its main headquarters located on a 100 acre farm 20 miles NW of Baltimore,Garden Harvest now has projects in other regions - Appalachia, India, El Salvador, Kenya, Romania; and it is working on starting a community farm in several other countries.
- Edie Dasher
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!