Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Our mission is to cultivate an organization of community members to grow our own organic crops. Through growing our food we work toward sustainable community empowerment and health: creating meaningful work, building lasting skills and developing strong relationships within the city of Ontario.
Nuestra misi?n es cultivar una organizaci?n comunitaria para crecer nuestras propias cosechas org?nicas. A trav?s de crecer nuestra comida, buscamos el fortalecimiento y salud comunitarios sostenible: crear trabajo significativo, fomentar habilidades durables y desarrollar relaciones fuertes dentro de la ciudad de Ontario.
Our vision is to build a garden every mile in our city and build a better food system and while the food system grows so will our community.
In two years Huerta del Valle has gone from a modest project involving 10 families to a 62- family community garden and urban agriculture project. Our intensive market garden has produced over 2000 lbs in one season of produce while only cultivating on a sixth of the projected growing space. In the next two years HdV is poised to expand the community garden to 124 families and grow an organic urban farm and demonstration project on 3 acres in the heart of an urbanized central Ontario neighborhood. Since gaining stable access to land in 2013, Huerta del Valle has been identified by Kaiser Foundation and the San Bernardino Food Policy Council as a model for the region.
- We want to see garden members, who are everyday people in Ontario, working actively to build the Ontario/region/society they want to see.
- We want to nurture research by Ontario youth and adults about environmental detriments and their solutions.
- We want Huerta del Valle to be a space for building political analysis and capacity for action.
- We want HDV to be a training center to grow the crop of committed individuals who can make "the garden every mile" a reality and shift the food system in our region toward a healthy, nutritious, sustainable, and just one.
Huerta del Valle is a laboratory to bring forth solutions that address stress, economic struggles, and chronic health issues through leadership development, civic engagement, and organic fruit and vegetable production in the community by the community.
Our program areas include four branches: community gardening, production for sales, community building, and community education. These address regional challenges posed to quality of life, access to healthy food, safe clean environments, and economic opportunity for low-income people in our area.
Our aims are to:
- Facilitate the growth of a local sustainable food system through urban agriculture and through new farmer training
- Create dignified, educative, community health and development centered employment and leadership opportunities for Ontario youth and adults
- Develop replicable local practices for economic and environmental justice.
Our program areas were decided in a collaborative, shared decision-making process.
- Huerta del Valle
- Need admin access?