Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Dancewave, Inc. was founded in 1985 to promote performing arts activities for young people in New York City, prioritizing the youth and families of Brooklyn (Kings County). Since its inception, Dancewave has created programs that are both challenging and artistically substantial, and which address young peoples' needs for individual achievement and group identity. As a home for interdisciplinary performing arts, our guiding vision employs dance as a lens to view, appreciate, and understand other creative disciplines.
Dancewave offers young people unique exposure to a world-class level of performing arts study, practice, and accomplishment through our ongoing dance classes, performances, and collaborative programs. Classes are offered to young people in our Kids Company I & II and in our AfterSchool Dance Program throughout the week and Saturdays, as well as through our special workshops held at the Kids Cafe Festival. We feel that every child and teen who demonstrates a strong inclination to perform can develop her or his talent in the nurturing and challenging atmosphere of our classes. Our ongoing objective is to develop a larger constituency by reaching a wider range of youth, families, and general audience in New York City, and throughout the world.
Currently, Dancewave operates five core programs - D-Wave In Motion, Kids Cafe Festival, Kids Company & Kids Company II, Summer Dance Intensive, and Dancewave AfterSchool.
- D-Wave In Motion , our programs in New York City public schools;
- Kids Cafe Festival , our citywide annual performance festival most recently held at the Long Island University's Kumble Theater showcasing over 250 performing children in the arts per season;
- Kids Companies I and II , and our new Young Movers Ensemble, three pre-professional young performing troupes who reflect Dancewave's philosophy of matching young people with world renowned artist/mentors. Kids Company, our highest level company has performed at Jacob's Pillow, Sag Harbors' Bay Street Theater, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the New Museum in addition to regular performances and residencies with the New York City public school system. In all of our companies, young people are exposed to the works of artists such as Mark Morris, Twyla Tharp, Garth Fagan, Bill T. Jones, Donald Byrd, Doug Varone, Trisha Brown and Paul Taylor.
- Summer Dance Intensive , our unique two week five classes a day summer program offers kids an array of dance disciplines such as belly dance, salsa and African in addition to a daily menu of ballet, modern, jazz, tap and hip hop. This year, we added a Choreography week, guided by Bessie award winning choreographer Jeremy Nelson, where kids studied improvisation, technique, took workshops in dance related topics such as injury prevention, nutrition, dance and camera and body therapies, and focused the rest of the day primarily on creating their own dances and studies.
- The Dancewave School, developed as a natural outgrowth of our other activities. Our after school classes for children ages 3-18 are offered five days a week in ballet, modern, modern jazz, street jazz, theatre jazz, hip-hop, pilates and creative movement. Dancewave AfterSchool strives to reach youth from the underserved areas of New York City, with a focus on Brooklyn. Scholarship auditions are held at the beginning of each semester for students in need of financial aid, and we currently have students from low-income areas of Brooklyn, such as East New York, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Bushwick and Crown Heights.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!