Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Hospice of Southwest Virginia offers comprehensive health care services for people with a terminal illness and support for their loved ones. Our focus is to provide improved quality of life so that the patient and family can spend their remaining time with comfort and dignity.
A Hospice Volunteer
- Is a special and necessary member of the Hospice Team
- Is caring, open, and accepting of life
- Understands the challenges that face families and patients when confronted with a life-limiting illness.
- Affirms life not just by speaking but by doing
- Gives back to life what was given to them
- Enriches their own life by enriching the lives of other
The 468,000 plus hospice volunteers at work in hospices throughout the U.S. are an essential part of the hospice philosophy of care which recognizes that dying is not just a medical event but a personal one as well. In fact, federal law requires that at least 5% of patient care hours be provided by volunteers (if the hospice receives Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement.)