Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
" TO BROADEN THE HORIZONS OF PEOPLE THROUGHOUT THE WORLD THROUGH AN EXCHANGE OF CULTURE"
Throughout the years, our mission has come to mean many things. As we embrace the beginning of the 21st century, the DM Discoveries Board of Directors and Management team have stressed the following as part of the mission emphasis:
1. Encouraging respect and trust among the children of the world. These children come from all backgrounds, nationalities, and beliefs.
2. Teachers, schools, host families, natural families, representatives (International and American), and the host community are all partners in the educational process of understanding cultural differences.
3. DM Discoveries believes that understanding begins with education and learning how to develop mutual awareness.
DM DISCOVERIES SERVES THIS MISSION IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS:
1. We have many students from less developed countries as well as third world countries. We offer programs at a lower cost in these countries. We are looking at various ways in which we can encourage more minorities to host foreign students.
2. Through our training programs, newsletters, and orientations, DM Discoveries actively provides education to all participants. Increasing cultural awareness and celebrating our similarities, as well as our differences, are major thrusts of our program.
♦ DMD was founded in 1997 and has been dedicated to the students as well as the host parents.
♦ DMD is a non-profit organization based in Babylon NY.
♦ DMD accepts highly qualified and screened students from over forty countries.
♦ DMD is dedicated to promoting world peace through developing, sponsoring, and bringing together foreign teens with volunteer host families .
♦ DMD is designated by the United States Department of State to be an exchange visitor program authorized to provide the application for the J-1 VISA .
♦ On the Basis of materials submitted and reviewed, DMD has consistently been granted listing by the Council of Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET) which indicates a high level of professionalism and respect within the foreign exchange industry.
ORIENTATIONS: THE INTERNATIONAL PARTNER P .ROVIDES STUDENT ORIENTATIONS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE. ISE REPS IN THE U.S. PROVIDE HOST FAMILY ORIENTATIONS PRIOR TO THE STUDENT'S ARRIVAL AND A STUDENT ORIENTATION WITHIN 5 DAYS OF ARRIVAL
DMD reps provid an orientation within 7 days after arrival.
HOST FAMILY ARRANGEMENTS: ENSURE MAXIMUM COMPATABILITY BETWEEN THE STUDENT AND HOST FAMILY.
SELECT THE HIGHEST QUALITY HOST FAMILIES .
HOST FAMILY CHANGES: PLACE STUDENTS WITH THE SAME HOST FAMILY FOR THE ENTIRE ACADEMIC YEAR. HOST FAMILY CHANGES ONLY TO BE MADE WITH THE STUDENT'S BEST INTEREST IN MIND.
SUPERVISION: MAINTAIN CONTINUOUS PERSONAL CONTACT WITH HOST FAMILY, STUDENT, AND SCHOOL. INITIATE ACTION TO RESOLVE ANY PROBLEMS. CONTACT STUDENT AND HOST FAMILY AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 4 WEEKS AND MEET PERSONALLY WITH EACH AT LEAST EVERY 8 WEEKS.
- Theresa Smith
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!