Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Centers for Reading and Writing help adults who have difficulties reading and writing to actualize their goals and improve their communication skills in a student-centered environment.The Centers are welcoming, neighborhood settings which serve as a first point of contact with library services for a culturally diverse population.
The Centers provide instruction in small groups, facilitated by volunteer tutors who are recruited, trained and supported by professional staff members. Supporting this community of learners is an accessible, high-interest collection of books and multimedia technology, which encourage and enhance independent learning.
Features of the library's literacy program include:
- Small group tutoring using volunteers
- Computer assisted instruction
- Publication of student writings in center journal
- Book collections with a multicultural emphasis for adult new readers
- Enrichment activities: author presentations, African-American and Women's History Month celebrations, visits to museums, and programs on life skills, parenting and health
We are open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. and Fridays 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Classes meet two days a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for two hours each day.
- Terry Sheehan
- (212) 529-2909
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!