Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Frosty Drew Nature Center & Observatory are dedicated to environmental stewardship and delivering environmental education to people of all ages, with primary focus on night skies and marine and aquatic habitats of the salt ponds.
Frosty Drew, our namesake, was interested in a wide range of ecological and conservation activities, particularly along Rhode Island's beautiful shores. As a child, Frosty contracted polio, weakening him through life and contributing to his death at the age of 28.
Our programs focus on education of both children and adults:
1) We offer summer "Nature Weeks" for children ranging in ages 4-12 which focuses on the water (salt pond ecosystems), birds, bugs, native plants, conservation.
2) School field trips - field studies - focusing on salt pond ecosystems, conservation, education, the night sky, astronomy, etc...
3) Friday (& Saturday in summer) night stargazing
4) Development of new Sea to Sky series; connecting the observatory to the nature center
5) NASA Image display center
6) Our Sky Theatre which brings the images from the Observatory into a comfortable, enclosed theater.