Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Transformation of the District of Columbia Public Schools - On June 12, 2007, Mayor Fenty assumed control over the District of Columbia Public Schools. As the Washington Post's Editorial Board said "There is a can-do quality in him that suggests the government can be reformed, that schools can be rebuilt and that institutions in this city can come together to improve people's lives. He offers a vision of the City that challenges the best in people."
A s his first official act in his role as governing authority over the public school system, he appointed Michelle Rhee as Chancellor. Chancellor Rhee brings more than a decade of innovative education experience, dedicating her career to improving public education in urban communities. M ost recently, she served as chief executive officer and president of The New Teacher Project. Chancellor Rhee inherits one of the largest and most challenged public school systems in the nation, which serves over 55,000 students. " There is a unique opportunity to effect significant systemic change in the District of Columbia to ensure that all children in this city get an excellent education," said Chancellor Rhee at a press conference. "I believe this city and the school district have tremendous potential."
Vision for the District of Columbia Public Schools t he District of Columbia Public Schools will be known as one of the best urban school districts in this country. We will offer an outstanding education to every student within a safe, healthy and educationally appropriate environment. We will be among the first major urban school districts to eliminate the achievement gap among all subgroups of our student population. We will dynamically engage parents and the community in the lives of our students and schools. The District of Columbia Public Schools will be the first and best choice for families living in the District of Columbia.
(1) Management/Communications ? Develop a systems-operations workflow for the Chancellor's office ? Create a stakeholder database for DC-area partners that includes parents, teachers, principals, and public-private sponsors ? Perform a literature review of the Chancellor's media and press events and create a media log ? Coordinate school visit and teacher focus group strategy for year 1 - includes preparing materials and finding participants. (2) Data Accountability and Assessment
- Collect and synthesize best practices of data use currently being implemented by DCPS schools
- Parent and student surveys administration, collection and analysis
- Collect and synthesizing best practices nationally of No Child Left Behind high stakes testing administration by districts across the nation
- Assist critical response team in addressing constituent issues around facilities, special education, school security, parent-teacher-principal relations
- Read and draft correspondence on behalf of Chancellor
- Monitor, track, analyze, and report on major trends in stakeholder concerns
- Research best practices across nation in recruitment and retention of talented teachers, principals, and central office staff
- Conduct survey work and collect data
- Analyze compensation and rewards systems for employees
- Organize and coordinate external partnership relations
- Event coordination and planning
- Susan Cheng
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!