Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Walk-A-Thon (5 miles) Date: 27 October 2007 Time: 10.00 AM Venue: Mercer County Park - East. Hamilton, NJ
WHAT IS CORD?
CORD stands for Chinmaya Organization for Rural Development. This name belongs to a successful Non-Profit Organization that is affiliated with the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) whereby Canadian aide is given to a rural NGO (Non Governmental Organization) in India that has received accolades for its success in empowering the women of the region and drawing them out of the cycle of dependency.
What we Do:
· Reduce poverty via technology, vocational training and entrepreneurship.
· The Chinmaya Rural Primary Health Care and Training Center now known as CORD.
· Community advocacy based rehabilitation program for the physically challenged.
· Provide better health care and education for the underprivileged community.
· Empower women and minorities for their economic improvement .
· Education on preventing gender discrimination.
· Schools that enroll children taught by trained teachers.
· Informal legal and social justice program. Enabling women to understand their rights and due justice against crimes in the home.
· Adolescent Girls and Boys Groups - education about alcohol, tobacco and drug use.
· Self Help Groups - receiving micro loans to pursue income generation projects.
· Environment protection by helping communities' combat deforestation and promoting environmental consciousness .
It is a matter of pride that the C.R.H.C.T. Centre was identified in 1998 by the NABARD (a Government organization for agricultural and rural development) as a mother N.G.O. (non-government organization) for training of N.G.O.s. The centre has already trained 62 N.G.O.s.
The project has generated a great deal of participatory involvement of women in the project area-groups such as village woman's groups, adolescent girls' groups, self-help groups etc. Self-help groups are identified as micro-banking groups where the groups undertake a project, get bank finance, implement the project and return the loan to the bank. The recovery of the micro-loans has been 100%. So far the Centre has been able to reach out to 4500 women and youth in these micro-enterprises. Some of the income generation activities include dairy, poultry, growing vegetables, traditional farming, bee-keeping, growing mushrooms, bamboo products, food products etc.
- Krishna Govender
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!