- Advocacy & Human Rights
- Health & Medicine
- People with Disabilities
Location1 East 33rd Street4th FloorNew York, NY 10016 United States
Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the life span, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of people with autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Autism Speaks enhances lives today and is accelerating a spectrum of solutions for tomorrow.
Autism Speaks was founded in February 2005 by Bob and Suzanne Wright, grandparents of a child with autism. Recognizing the need for a powerful voice Bernie Marcus donated $25 million to help financially launch the organization.
Today, Autism Speaks is dedicated to advancing research into causes and better treatments for autism spectrum disorders and related conditions both through direct funding and collaboration.
To accomplish this, Autism Speaks will relentlessly pursue strategies that make significant progress toward the following outcomes over the next 10 years:
- A better understanding of the causes and typology of ASD
- Children with an autism spectrum disorder being diagnosed before the age of 2
- Children having access to appropriate intervention, services and resources immediately following diagnosis
- The availability of better treatments both for underlying pathology as well as co-existing conditions that decrease quality of life for those with autism
- People with ASD and their families have transition plans that result in more independent adult life that is meaningful to the individual
- Individuals with ASD will have effective interventions, services and supports throughout their lifetime