St. Alban's Day Nursery was incorporated in 1949 to provide care to pre-school children of working mothers in Coconut Grove. St. Alban's Child Enrichment Center is a private, non-profit organization founded by concerned members of the community and Christ Episcopal Church. Presently, St. Alban's cares for over 300 families per year and is supported financially by Miami-Dade Community Action Agency Head Start, Miami-Dade Office of Community Development, City of Miami, United Way of Miami, donations and fees.
The major accomplishment of St Alban's has been the ability to effectively provide childcare and family services to so many for so long. It is estimated that St. Alban's has served approximately 15,000 children over its more than 58 years of existence. A few notables who have graduated from St. Alban's include:
· Winston E. Scott, Captain in the Navy and NASA Astronaut.
· Beverly Counts-Rodriguez, Community Relations Manager at Miami Herald
· Rev. Roland Wallace, Assistant Pastor, Greater St. Paul A.M.E.
· Milton Vickers, former Director of the Miami-Dade County Wages Board.
· Miles C. Jennings Jr., college graduate and owner of M.C. Jennings Construction
· Neal Colzie, Professional football player and Super Bowl winner.
During the 2007/2008 school year, St. Alban's will provide comprehensive child development services to 180 children 3 to 5 years old enrolled in Head Start, 53 children funded by Child Development Services and 26 infant and toddlers. Our annual budget is $1.990 million with $1.206 million coming from Miami Dade County Community Action Agency/Head Start and $150,000 coming from United Way. These amounts represent a 15% reduction from the previous year's budget.