Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Bay Area Cancer Connections (formerly Breast Cancer Connections ) supports people touched by breast and ovarian cancer by providing comprehensive, personalized services in an atmosphere of warmth and compassion.Guiding Principles
- We place the needs of our clients first.
- We empower clients by providing education that helps them make informed decisions.
- We provide personalized services directly and through partnerships across the continuum of care.
- We value the experience, knowledge, and involvement of volunteers, breast cancer survivors, their families, and caregivers.
- We are committed to providing our services free of charge.
Our Story In October 1993, a patient, Jill Freidenrich, and her surgeon, Dr. Ellen Mahoney, began to dream of a community center where breast cancer patients could go for up-to-date medical information and support from fellow breast cancer survivors.
In January 1994, the dream and the number of people sharing it began to grow as more than 250 people participated in brainstorming sessions on how best to meet the needs of breast cancer survivors and their families. Brainstorming participants agreed that an organization was needed to do three things:
- Offer patient and family support in a safe, welcoming environment
- Inform and educate
- Improve coordination of medical care and community resources
In April 1994, Bay Area Cancer Connections (originally known as Community Breast Health Project) began to transform the shared dream into reality. Buttressed by office space and a part-time director provided by Stanford University Hospital, as well as an outstanding volunteer force, BCC began to establish a presence in the community.
Today, BCC continues to grow to meet the needs of our community. From one part-time director of the past, we have increased to a large staff working with hundreds of volunteers. Our growth has ensured that we continue to provide free, high-quality services and support for our clients even as the demand for our services continues to increase.