Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Rose Foundation believes in the power of informed community involvement.
We support grassroots initiatives to inspire community action to protect the environment, consumers and public health. To fulfill this mission, we:
- Raise money to award as grants to qualified organizations.
- Work directly in schools and in the community.
- Engage in local, state and federal policy research and advocacy.
Within this broad range of activities, all of Rose Foundation's work revolves around one or more of the following strategic themes:
- Build and maintain a bridge between the community and organized philanthropy.
- Protect the natural environment, public health, and community and consumer rights.
- Promote collaboration between labor, environmental, business, consumer and social interests.
- Cultivate a new generation of environmental stewards and social policy leaders.
- Respect the inalienable rights protected by our nation's constitution, and the essential human rights to clean air, clean water, and individual dignity and privacy.
Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment is a grantmaking public charity. Unlike a private foundation, we were not launched with a big endowment. So each year we have to raise the money that we give away as grants to community-based organizations or invest in our youth leadership and environmental justice programs. Our funding comes from donations, grants from other foundations, or legal restitution payments and cy pres funds.
New Voices Are Rising Project
New Voices Are Rising seeks to increase civic participation within under-represented communities, increase young people’s commitment to environmental justice, and reduce air and water pollution that severely impact both human health and the health of the San Francisco Bay. The program helps young people gain the skills and experience in civic engagement that they need to begin to tackle the problems - including environmental health problems - that disproportionately impact their communities.
Rose Foundation’s grantmaking programs are organized into a series of discrete funds. Each fund has a specific mission, and each fund may also have a specific geographic scope. Most funds are guided by a volunteer funding board whose members donate their time and expertise in guiding overall grantmaking strategy and individual grants decisions. Here is an overview of our various grantmaking programs and the different mechanisms that enable them.