Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
Girls on the Run honors its core values. We strive to:
- Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making
- Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness
- Express joy, optimism and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions
- Nurture our physical, emotional and spiritual health
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent
- Stand up for ourselves and others
GOTR NOLA is proud to celebrate 5 FABULOUS years this upcoming season. We began with a steering committee of ten women who shared a vision of providing the young girls in our community with an opportunity to grow, learn and take healthy risks through a GOTR Program. The small committee raised the required $7,000 and began the planning process to start programming in Fall 2010.
In 2010, GOTR NOLA’s initial program strategy was to start on a reasonable scale to ensure that the council would have the flexibility to work through any serious hurdles while expanding responsibly. After a highly successful first year, GOTR NOLA had ambitious expansion goals intended to address the immense need for positive afterschool programming in New Orleans.
- In its first year, GOTR NOLA launched its first season with programming in two schools serving 22 participants. In Spring 2011, GOTR NOLA expanded to three schools, four teams, and 43 participants.
- In its second year, GOTR NOLA served 97 participants at 5 sites in Fall 2011 and served 103 girls at 8 sites in Spring 2012.
- In the third year, GOTR NOLA served 94 girls at 8 sites in Fall 2012 and served 83 girls at 8 sites in Spring 2013.
- We have just finished a successful 2013/2014 fourth season and have tripled site locations and program participants, serving 250 girls at 15 sites in Fall 2013 and 270 girls at 16 sites in Spring 2014, serving a total of 510 girls at 23 individual sites this season.
GOTR NOLA serves the New Orleans metropolitan area, which includes the cities of New Orleans, Metairie and Kenner, and encompasses Orleans and Jefferson Parishes. There are many neighborhoods in the New Orleans metro area that we have yet to establish a presence, including New Orleans East, Gentilly and the West Bank.
GOTR NOLA is quickly becoming a household name in the greater New Orleans area! We have steadily grown during our first three years and this past year the program exploded with growth! Parents, teachers, runners, athletes, health professionals and more seek out opportunities to get involved with Girls on the Run New Orleans, whether as a potential volunteer, coach or as a new potential host site. We are eager to grow to serve the strong demand for our programming and feel there is limitless potential for Girls on the Run in New Orleans!