Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Parks and Recreation Department cares for the spaces, places,
and active lifestyles that define Olathe’s community identity, health,
and quality of life.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Promote community involvement and actively seek input in the planning, operation and participation of the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Plan for an orderly growth through acquisition and development of parks, open spaces, recreation facilities and historic sites.
- Provide quality, compassionate, perpetual care at the historic Olathe Memorial Cemetery.
- Effectively coordinate the parks and recreation department with other city departments, organizations, schools, and other community partners to improve the overall service to our citizens.
- Serve as community leaders for environmental stewardship of Olathe’s natural resources.
- Offer comprehensive, quality recreational and educational programming aimed at satisfying the needs of varying age levels, physical abilities and special interests.
- Maintain and improve the appearance and safety of our parks and facilities at the highest level of available resources.
- Preserve and promote the history and heritage of Olathe.
- Provide efficient and effective leadership, fiscal responsibility and coordination for the delivery of quality services to the community.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion in our community is embraced by all.
- Work to ensure that women, disadvantaged, veterans and minority owned businesses are aware of available projects and bids.
- Provide affordable transportation services to low income families, and disabled (including elderly) citizens, so they may maintain their independence and quality of life.
- Offer affordable housing opportunities to our low income families, elderly and disabled citizens.
- Maintain and improve the appearance and quality of Olathe’s public housing units.
- Improve the viability of our aging neighborhoods by offering home improvement programs to our low income homeowners.
- Engage and encourage citizens to become a part of the community through focus groups, homeownership, diversity, neighborhood, housing, transportation and special population programs.
- Work with the community on fair and equitable housing practices