Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The Nile Sisters Development Initiative mission is to educate, support, and offer training to refugee and immigrant women and their families to help them overcome barriers to social and economic self-reliance.
We seek to establish a well-integrated, productive, and vital refugee/immigrant community in San Diego County.
San Diego’s Need for Refugee Outreach
Nile Sisters Development Initiative aids newcomers and migrants to San Diego beyond the initial allocation period. We also assist refugee and immigrant families who experience difficulties after assimilation. Since 2001, Nile Sisters has served thousands of refugees and immigrants. In 2013 alone, we served more than 1,700 refugees in San Diego County.
The following are a few of the many reasons we assist refugees:
- refugees frequently arrive in the US with few or no belongings
- most refugees lack basic English language skills
- most refugees lack employment skills that are marketable in the US
- most refugees lack knowledge of US legal, monetary, social, and transportation systems
- some families have lost their breadwinners
- some refugees have higher education but in a language other than English
- some refugees experience culture shock due to lack of acculturation services
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!