Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of the Governors Island Alliance (GIA) is to celebrate the Island’s rich history, create memorable parks and public spaces, and ensure appropriate reuse of the Island and its historic structures.
Since 1995, the Alliance has worked collaboratively to return the Island to the people of New York. Our concept of redeveloping the Island as a great civic space was the basis for the 2003 transfer from the Federal Government to New York and the National Park Service.
Thanks to the Alliance’s advocacy and the support of farsighted public officials:
- About 110 acres of parks and public spaces are or will shortly be open to the public, including a National Monument and a spectacular City waterfront park now under construction;
- The landscaped grounds and 19th century homes in the Island’s spectacular 93-acre National Landmark Historic District are permanently protected under city, state, and federal law;
- The Landmark 1811 Castle Williams will welcome visitors to its spectacular rooftop and former jail cells.
- Public-oriented uses like the New York Harbor School are revitalizing the Island and its historic buildings.
In addition to our on-going advocacy, the Alliance welcomes thousands of visitors to the Island every summer with concerts, arts & educational programs, including our welcome tent, annual Opening Day Family Festival, and Harbor Map. Our corporate and individual volunteers help stretch the capacity of government and other non-profit partners.
The Alliance continues to fulfill its mission by pursuing three goals:
- Promote timely and appropriate redevelopment of the Island’s parks and public spaces, historic buildings and new development zones by working constructively with The Trust for Governors Island, the National Park Service and other partners;
- Build an active and informed constituency for the Island by offering opportunities for the public to become engaged through public programs, volunteer activities, and decisions about the Island’s future; and
- Secure additional city, state and federal government investment by advocating for needed capital and operating funding in Albany, New York City, and Washington D.C.
The Alliance is guided by a distinguished Board of Directors. Organizational affiliations are for identification purposes only.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!