Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Our mission is to change public and corporate policy in a manner that provides concrete economic benefit to working-class people, increases the economic rights of working class people, and builds leadership through a movement for economic justice. In the process, SAJE also creates models of economic democracy that are replicable and sustainable.
SAJE is a community organizer and advocate working on behalf of the current residents of South LA, particularly in the Figueroa Corridor. We take slumlords to court, help establish land trusts and work to find positive solutions to conflicts between institutions and low-income city residents. As a convener and in partnership with other organizations, we work to ensure that the fate of city neighborhoods is decided by those who live there, and we accomplish it in ways that are replicable and sustainable. Our policy research and White Papers on topics such as community planning and city development are nationally known and respected.
Since SAJE was established in 1996, our numerous achievements include:
- We created the nation’s first welfare-to-work account.
- We negotiated a first-of-its-kind Community Benefits Agreement with Anschutz Entertainment Group (owner of Staples Center and L.A. Live), which stipulated the hiring of neighborhood residents at a living wage.
- We assisted the City Attorney in convicting a record number of slumlords and then we helped relocate the tenants to safe and healthy housing.
- We helped establish a community land trust to ensure public stewardship of local land.
- We worked with City leaders and other community groups to negotiate with USC on the redevelopment of its campus to protect the rights of the neighbors and assure their fair treatment.
We work tirelessly on behalf of economic democracy, neighborhood integrity and tenants’ rights to make LA a happier, more just place.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!