Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Our mission is to empower inner city teen girls towards becoming strong, confident, successful and moral future leaders.
The RWF’s five-year, year-round Girls Into Women program brings our teens together for workshops, seminars, retreats, field trips, and camps held at least once or twice a month. Our core program, GIW focuses on career and personal development through subprograms that address self-esteem, etiquette, health, career planning, college preparation, education, financial literacy, self-defense, community outreach, mental and emotional well-being, mentoring, public speaking, life skills and more.
RWF Program Emphasis
- Career Development - RWF Teens get to participate in workshops and activities focused on interviewing techniques, financial literacy, resume writing, job shadowing, dressing for success, communication skills, achieving work experience, internships and career planning.
- Education - RWF provides scholarships to qualifying graduating seniors. We also hold workshops focusing on academic excellence and promoting higher learning. Our juniors take part in a week-long visit to historically Black Colleges and Universities. Our teens also participate in workshops led by representatives of Michigan colleges and universities and go on campus visits.
- Camp I Can - Our annual summer weekend retreat at Camp Highfields which focuses on goal setting, confidence building, problem solving, leadership, trust and team building activities. Overcoming fears and developing new friendships are valuable life lessons also emphasized.
- Mentoring - RWF teens are matched up one-on-one with a carefully screened mentor for one year. We are fortunate to have women from the medical, legal, education, and business fields serving as mentors to our teens. RWF also provides group mentoring through our hands on board members and volunteers that are in contact with the teens monthly with positive reinforcement, support and encouragement.
- 24 Hour Girl Talk - Once a year, RWF teens participate in an overnight outing where the teens learn from numerous speakers on various teen issues and participate in intense etiquette training and public speaking exercises.
- Community Outreach - RWF has adopted Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries Genesis House II Homeless Shelter for women and children as our own benefit charity. We provide clothing, gifts, toiletries and toys, along with serving food and playing games with children in the shelter. The teens also volunteer annually on MLK Jr. Day performing various services within the community.
- Health and Wellness - RWF Teens participate in workshops led by medical doctors on oral hygiene, physical fitness, healthy eating, STD’s, substance abuse and coping with emotional depression.
- Cultural Development - Throughout the year, RWF Teens benefit from visits to the metropolitan Detroit area’s many museums and theatres to enhance their cultural awareness and horizons.
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!