Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
Our mission is to provide a healthy, safe and nurturing environment with an educational foundation that will prepare our children to be competitive, competent and confident contributing future leaders. We believe that each child is unique, and it is important to encourage each child’s own individual learning style. For this reason, we foster an environment that builds children’s independence, offers opportunities for making discoveries, creates a desire to learn and promotes a positive and healthy self-esteem.
The Board will support the work of SMILE and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by SMILE’s executive director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as she develops and implements SMILE’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by SMILE for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving SMILE’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
- Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing SMILE to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring SMILE’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities SMILE serves
SMILE’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for a(n) dditional term(s). Board meetings will be held monthly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about SMILE’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of SMILE’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of SMILE’s beneficiaries
Service on SMILE’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support.
- Leonita Robinson
- (617) 427-5226
- Need admin access?
Do you work for this organization?
Request administrator status and update its information!